Friday, August 21, 2009

The Jane





















This year I celebrated my birthday at The Jane Hotel in the west village. It has quickly become one of my favorite spots in NYC. The decor is amazing! It's kind of like if Ms. Havisham and The Darjeeling Limited had a baby and it just happened to be a hotel. The bar has this exotic mix of patterns and textures from the velvet sofas and fringe to a dilapidated disco ball. And let's not forget the taxidermy... there's stuffed monkeys wearing fez in the bar and a ram on top of the Lounge's fireplace mantel. Trust me... It's completely cool. The decor inspired me to turn up the "ugly" in my own design. Beautiful things are so much more interesting if they are just a little bit ugly. Ugly is the new black. It should be a staple of good design.

No comments:

Post a Comment